The lands comprising the park were orginally donated to the city of Aberdeen by Robert the Bruce in 1319. In the 19th century the land was largely sold off and became the estate of the Rose family. In 1920 the land was acquired by Aberdeen city and the present day park was established.
The area immediately around the park includes the golf courses, playing fields for football and rugby as well as extensive woodlands. Pathways connect the core park to these areas and also to a much wider area of greenspace including Walker Dam, Johnstone Gardens, Den of Maidencraig and Countesswells woods. Amazingly it is possible to walk or cycle for many miles in a tranquil rural setting so close to the centre of the city. The playing fields are used in the summer months for events such as the Highland Games.
We have a leaflet produced by Aberdeen City Council showing the various paths around the area. Paths of Hazlehead and Countesswells (4MB PDF).